Meditations
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

...alien in a strange land

Friday, June 12, 2009
I can't believe how much time has passed since I've posted anything to this blog! I haven't lacked words; I've lacked time--and perhaps motivation--to post them, at least in this format. That, however, is changing.

A week from tomorrow, I board a plan for London. An all too short sleep later, I get to take the tunnel under the English Channel to Paris, then fly to Dakar, Senegal, where I will spend two weeks working with the LeTourneau University LEGS team. If you're not familiar with LEGS, the best plan is to check out the LEGS website for all the details. One of my students and I will be interacting with the LEGS project and researching visual literacy in both Senegal and Kenya, which we will visit after Senegal. Altogether, I'll be away from home nearly a month.

That's a really long time for a homebody like me! Right now, I'm at the wide-eyed, head-spinning, self-doubting, overwhelmed (add other adjectives that connote feelings of unprepared insecurity here) stage. I guess this is a good time to remember that the wisdom and strength for this project come from God and not from me. In fact, God has been reminding me of that in some really cool ways.

Two days ago, I had to go to campus for a couple of errands. While I was there, I stopped in to say hello to my friend Janet. After a couple minutes of visiting, she said, "Let me pray for you," grabbed me in a big hug, and prayed for me.

The next day, I had a doctor appointment. On my way out the door, I saw another colleague, John, a dear friend who is always a blessing and an inspiration. We talked for a few minutes, and then John, just as a way of continuing conversation, prayed for me right there in the doctor's office. No closed eyes, no formality--just focusing on the fact that God was already included in the conversation (which is really what prayer is anyway).

I am so blessed to work at a place that blesses me with these kinds of relationships! I have been twice blessed! Deadlines and stresses still loom large, but I am reminded that God is at work.

So I hope to post to this blog quite a lot in the next month, adding pics and even some videos as I'm able. I'm not sure what kind of web access we'll have in Africa, but when we do have it, I'll try to post.

What adventures lie ahead?



posted by Annie 10:05 PM
|
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


E-mail Me

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blogroll Me!