Meditations
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

...alien in a strange land

Friday, December 01, 2006
Thirty one hour later . . .
I'm in Australia. Hard to believe. Quite a journey getting here.

First, I arrived very late at the Gregg County airport. Nobody believes the "2 hours early for an international flight" line when we're talking Gregg County, but I did intend to be there over an hour early. Key word here is intend. Somehow after being in my office until 10:15 p.m. the night before trying to wrap up the "MUST do" stuff, and then being up until 3:30 a.m. at home before even starting to pack, then of course dragging out of bed and trying to pack on very little sleep . . . .

By the time I got there, the overbooked plane was full. No volunteers to wait. So American handed me a $250 travel voucher (that part was nice), scared up a van to drive me and another passenger to Shreveport, and put us (just barely in time!) on a plane to Dallas in time to catch our next flight. Landed in Dallas with 10 minutes to spare before boarding the next flight and still had to change terminals etc. As things ended, up, I needn't have stressed quite as much as I did, rushing from one terminal to another. The Shreveport to Dallas flight was the only one of the trip to leave remotely on time.

But I get ahead of myself. TSA loves me. They love to search my luggage. Every time I travel, I open my bag to find a little paper inside that says "TSA was here, pawing through your stuff." Don't ask me why. I usually have no trouble with airport security on the walk through level. But at Shreveport--maybe just BECAUSE the ticket agent was there encouraging TSA to hurry because the flight was (supposedly) about to leave without me--the agent scanned my carry on three (count them, THREE) times, opened it, took some things out to scan individually--go figure. I'm so suspicious.

We arrive in Dallas, rush around, then wait for an hour until the late plane arrives so we can leave an hour late for San Francisco. The San Francisco to Sidney flight (stop over on the way to Melbourne--supposed to be just a quick in and out) left an hour and a half late because they had to "off-load a sick crew member." At Sidney, the luggage hatch wouldn't close, so we waited an hour and half on that. Then we waited a half hour on landing in Melbourne before luggage came down the ramp while they worked at getting it open again. I learned just to close my eyes, go to sleep and not care when the plane took off. Got a lot more sleep that way.

You know how after you've been at the ocean all day, when you sit still or close your eyes, you can still feel the waves? That's how I feel now. I can still feel the plane moving under me--the vibration and rocking sort of movement. Very disturbing when you're in a 5-story hotel (paying $6 Aussie dollars per hour for Internet access).

So this afternoon I got checked in to the hotel and didn't feel very well. Then I realized I hadn't eaten anything since about 5:00 this morning--airline breakfast. Oops. Jet lag really messes with your appetite as well as your sense of timing. Went out and got a sandwich and feel better. Now if the world would just hold still . . . Going to try to arrange a day trip for tomorrow--make good use of my one sightseeing day. After making those arrangements, I'm going to hit the pool and hot tub, take a long hot shower, and climb into bed early.

First impressions of Melbourne--London, New York, and Honolulu rolled into one. Sidewalk cafes are everywhere. People relax on the street for a coffee, and when you sit down among them, if you're among five conversations, they are likely to be in five languages. Alleys full of tourist-trap shops link major streets. The huge and grand butts itself up against the cheap and trashy. People wear absolutely anything. Great people-watching place.

My time is nearly up. More later.



posted by Annie 1:21 AM
|
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


E-mail Me

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blogroll Me!