Meditations
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

...alien in a strange land

Wednesday, March 09, 2005
For a long time, I've been praying to see God's power in my life--you know, that "Where is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?" sort of prayer. This is the kind of prayer you hope God will answer with a bolt of lightning or some wonderful, powerful success. So much of the time, I feel like I'm just barely keeping my head above water, not living powerfully as I want to and and feel that I should. So Iprayed to see God's power. I should have known better. God has been changing my perspective. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Elijah--the list goes on--they weren't powerful. They were weak, faithless, frail, human. God was powerful. God did powerful things through them. and those powerful things weren't always the bolts of lightning. I've learned this by being weak--very weak--probably the weakest I've been in my life, debilitated by severe back pain and reliance on pain medications just to get through the day. Through my weakness, God has been powerful. It started on Saturday in the ER when the ER "doctor" (obviously, I wasn't impressed) referred me to a back doctor. I've never heard of the guy, but at the mention of his name, my spirit said "no." I checked with a friend: "Have you heard anything about him?" Long pause, then "Well, nothing good." Confirmed. My mom called her back doctor. His first new patient appointment was the end of April. He saw me on Tuesday, the day after mom called. A surgery cancelled. The ER "doctor" also ordered an MRI. This was on Saturday, remember. I called Monday morning and had an MRI by Monday night. Doesn't happen that way around here--not in Longview, Texas. Plans were to head to Indiana to see my grandbaby over spring break. Everyone was telling me not to go, but I really, really wanted to and couldn't decide. I finally prayed for a very clear answer, one way or the other. The doctor (the good one) had ordered a follow-up MRI with special views and other funky stuff. He wanted it that week. Instead, the only possible time was Wednesday, right in the middle of spring break. Answer. I stayed home. This isn't over. Doctor isn't sure yet what's causing the problem, and I'm walking by faith. But I have seen God be powerful through seemingly small but significant ways--through and because of my weakness. I am strong because I am weak. In my weakness, He is strong through me.


posted by Annie 4:25 PM
|
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


E-mail Me

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blogroll Me!